The Write Thread
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Andrea
Andrea

For Book Reading Group Discussion and Dissection. - Page 2 Empty Re: For Book Reading Group Discussion and Dissection.

Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:10 pm
Illusions perdues — in English, Lost Illusions — publication date 1837 - 1843      Also published during this time were works by the Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allen Poe, Thackery, Mary Shelly, Frances Trollope, Victor Hugo, Harriet Martineau, Alexandre Dumas, George Sand, and others.
Andrea
Andrea

For Book Reading Group Discussion and Dissection. - Page 2 Empty Re: For Book Reading Group Discussion and Dissection.

Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:25 pm
Project Gutenberg link to Balzac's Lost Illusions:

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/13159/pg13159-images.html
Andrea
Andrea

Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:27 pm
CallMeAnnii

Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:03 am
Hi Greg, is there a particular translation that you like? Hunt or Wormeley?

greggu wrote:I’ve started rereading “ Lost Illusions “ by Balzac . Really enjoyed it the first time around. I also found out that it was made into a French movie in 2021. The movie got great reviews.

I forgot about George Sand. Will look up what she had written and see if anything she wrote is still popular.

Masterpiece Theatre did a miniseries on her life back in the early seventies. ( I don’t think it’s available anywhere ) some journalist said the broadcasts were kinda funny because the announcer ( good old Alastair Cooke ) obviously hated her.

There is also a film from early nineties. It’s called “ Impromptu “ and it’s a light comedy.  Judy Davis as George Sand , Hugh Grant as Chopin , and Emma Thompson as a slightly daffy French aristocrat.

Andrea likes this post

Miamiproustlover

For Book Reading Group Discussion and Dissection. - Page 2 Empty Zoom group

Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:40 am
I’m up for a Zoom reading group if we can agree on a time. I’m in EST time zone.

Andrea likes this post

Andrea
Andrea

Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:46 pm
Miamiproustlover,

First of all, welcome to our reading group.  For our Beckett Zoom meetup last spring, we managed to arrange a zoom time to include someone in London (GMT) so we should be able to accommodate a three hour time difference easily.   We have already started a conversation here on the Lost Illusions thread https://the-write-thread.forumotion.com/t32-balzac-s-lost-illusions-chat-thread.      The Zoom meetup would likely be towards the end of the month.

On another note, have you read the entirety of ISOLT? I read the first volumes, and still have Time Regained on the back burner.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum